Seminars for Academic Year 2006-2007
September - 2006
- September 15: "War and Pestilence as Labor Market Shocks: Manufacturing Wage Growth 1914-1919," Tom A. Garrett (Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis), 3:30 p.m., Hulbert 27.
October - 2006
- October 13: "Inferring the Latent Incidence of Inefficiency from DEA Estimates and Bayesian Priors," Dan Friesner, Ron Mittelhammer and Robby Rosenman, (SES), 3:30 p.m., Hulbert 27.
- October 20: "Let the Market Be Your Guide: An Endogenous Classification and Valuation of Wines," Marco Costanigro, (SES), 3:30 p.m., Hulbert 27.
- October 27: "On the Fragility of Collusive Arrangements: Evidence from Field Experiments," Mike Price, (University of Nevada), 3:30 p.m., Hulbert 27.
November - 2006
- November 3: "Neighborhood Effects and Demand for Grain Transportation: an Application of a Spatial Tobit Model," (SES), 3:30 p.m., Hulbert 27.
- November 17: "Impacts of Health Insurance on Household Expenditure Patterns in Thailand: a Quadratic Almost Ideal Demand System Approach," Amy Puenpatom, (SES), 3:30 p.m., Hulbert 27.
December - 2006
- December 1: "The Optimal Level of Nearly Nothing is Zero: The Case of Competitive Imbalance in Pro Sports Leagues," Rod Fort, (SES), 3:30 p.m., Hulbert 27.
- December 7: "Asset Utilization and Productivity Bias in U.S. Agriculture," Matt Andersen, (University of California, Davis), 3:30 p.m. CUE 202.
- December 8: "When Conservation is Not Conservation: An Investigation of the Effects of Increasing Agricultural Irrigation Efficiency on Economic Growth," Aaron Benson, (SES), 3:30 p.m., Hulbert 27.
- December 11: "Is Health More Important than the Environment in Motivating a Consumer’s Organic Produce Purchases? A Fractional Probit Model to Refute Market Research," Cathy Durham, (Oregon State University), 3:30 p.m., CUE 319.
- December 12: "USDA's Trade Adjustment Assistance for Farmers: The Raspberry Industry," Jun Ruan, (Oregon State University), 3:30 p.m., CUE 119.
- December 14: "Traditional and Value-Based Pricing Methods for Fed Cattle: Optimal Incentive Structure for Cattle Feeding Contracts," Shaikh Rahman, (University of Maryland), 3:30 p.m. CUE 202.
January - 2007
- January 29: "Bilateral Investment Treaties and Foreign Direct Investment: Correlation versus Causation," Emma Aisbett (University of California, Berkeley), Johnson Hall C107, 3:30-5:00 p.m.
- January 25: "Firm Heterogeneity, Acquisition Incentives, and Trade Liberalization," Alan Spearot (University of Wisconsin), Johnson Hall C107, 3:30-5:00 p.m.
- January 18: "International Trade Dynamics with Intermediate Inputs," Ananth Ramanarayanan (University of Minnesota ), Johnson Hall C107, 3:30-5:00p.m.
- January 16: "Trade and Migration in an Enlarged European Union: A Spatial Analysis," Justin May (University of Michigan ), Johnson Hall C107, 3:30-5:00 p.m.
- January 12: "Why the Poor Get Fat: Weight Gain and Economic Insecurity," Trent Smith (SES WSU
Faculty and Graduate Student Seminar Series), Hulbert Hall 27, 3:30-5:00 p.m.
- January 11: "Family Networks and Orphan Caretaking in Tanzania," Christopher Ksoll (Yale University), Johnson C 107, 3:30 p.m.
February - 2007
- February 28: "The Optimal Sequencing of Carrots: The Timing and Size of Aid Grants for Large Projects," Jennifer Steele (University of Texas at Austin), Johnson Hall C107, 3:30-5:00 p.m.
- February 27: "A Longitudinal Analysis of the Burden of Malaria on Health and Economic Productivity: The American Case," Sok Chul Hong (University of Chicago), Johnson Hall C107, 3:30-5:00 p.m.
- February 21: "Ownership Forms Matter for Airport Efficiency: Results from Bayesian Estimation of Stochastic Cost Frontiers for Worldwide Airports," Jia Yan (Hong Kong Polytechnic University), Johnson Hall C105, 3:30-5:00 p.m.
- February 19: "Trade Liberalization, Reallocation, and Productivity," Mark Gibson (University of Minnesota), Hulbert 27, 3:30-5:00 p.m.
- February 15: "Effects of Family Structure on Child Body Weight," Yanjun (Carol) Bao (University of Illinois at Chicago), Johnson Hall C105, 3:30-5:00 p.m.
- February 12: "Measuring Shared Efficiency in Hospital Cost Centers," Dan Friesner (Gonzaga University), Johnson Hall C107, 3:30-5:00 p.m.
- February 7: "Death and Taxes: The Impact of Progressive Taxation on Health," Anca Cotet (Clemson University), Johnson Hall C105, 3:30-5:00 p.m.
- February 1: "Multinational Spillovers through Worker Turnover," Jennifer Poole (University of California, San Diego), Johnson Hall C107, 3:30-5:00 p.m.
March - 2007
- March 22: "Job Loss, Retirement and the Mental Health of Older Americans," Bidisha Mandal (Ohio State University), Johnson Hall C105, 3:30-5:00 p.m.
March 19: "Auctions for Show Quality Quarter Horses," Mykel Taylor (North Carolina State University), Johnson Hall C107, 3:30-5:00 p.m.
April - 2007
- April 27: "Imperfect Price Deflation in Production Systems," Jeffrey LaFrance (UC Berkeley), Hulbert Hall 27, 3:30-5:00 p.m.
- April 20: "Using a Hedonic Model of Solar Radiation to Assess the Economic Effect of Climate Change: The Case of Mosel Valley Vineyards (with Orley Ashenfelter)," Karl Storchmann (Whitman College), Hulbert Hall 27, 3:30-5:00 p.m.
- April 6: "Learning and the Value of Information: Evidence from Health Plan Report Cards (with Michael Chernew and Dennis Scanlon)," Gautam Gowrisankaran (Washington University, St. Louis and NBER ), Hulbert Hall 23, 10:30-12:00 a.m.