Seminars for Academic Year 2007-2008
August - 2007
- August 31: "Phase Space Reconstruction and Nonlinear Equilibrium Dynamics Applied to U.S. Meat Demand," Mike McCullough (SES), 3:30 p.m., Hulbert 27.
September - 2007
- September 28: "Organic and Beyond: Consumer Demand for Differentiated Farm Commodities," Kate Painter (SES and Center for Sustaining Ag and Natural Resources ), 3:30 p.m., JsnH C107.
- September 21: "An empirical examination of the factors affecting remittance by Mexican migrants in the United States," Mudziviri Nziramasanga and Jon Yoder (SES), 3:30 p.m., Hulbert 27.
- September 17: Consumer Directed Health Plans - Paper and PPT Presentation, Roger Feldman (Univ of Minnesota ), 3:30 p.m., Todd 307.
- September 14: "Economics of Biofuels and Oilseeds in North America," Doug Young and Kate Painter (SES), 3:30 p.m., Johnson C107.
- September 7: "Preparation for the Ph.D. Job Market," Jon Yoder (SES), 3:30 p.m., Hulbert 27.
October - 2007
- October 26: "If You Can't Take the Heat, Get Out of the Region: Spatial Competition and Strategic Firm Relocation," Kevin Henrickson (Gonzaga University ), 3:30 p.m., Hulbert 27.
- October 19:" Trade Creation and Diversion Revisited: Accounting for Model Uncertainty and Natural Trading Partner Effects," Theo Eicher (Univ of Washington), 3:30 p.m., Hulbert 27.
- October 12: "Role of Healthy Lifestyle in Individual Decision Making for Disease Prevention," Rashmita Basu (SES), 3:30 p.m., Hulbert 27.
- October 5: "Tobacco Use as Response to Economic Insecurity: Evidence from the National Longitudinal Survey of Youth," Michael Barnes, 3:30 p.m., Hulbert 27.
November - 2007
- November 29: 2007 Leigh Lecture in Economics, presented by James J. Heckman (University of Chicago), 7:30 p.m. in Todd 130.
- November 16: "An Economic Analysis of Sanitary and Phytosanitary Barriers to Trade," Lia Nogueira (SES), 3:30 p.m., Hulbert 27.
- November 5: "Estimating Willingness to Pay by Means of Adaptive, Sequential Conjoint Experiments," presented by Greg Duncan (UC Berkeley and The Huron Consulting Group), 3:30 p.m.,
- November 2: "Expansion of Firms and Human Capital Accumulation by Training: A Growth Model for the Not-So-Growing," Gilad Aharonovitz (SES), 3:30 p.m., Hulbert 27.
December - 2007
- December 6 and 7: 2007 Annual Conference Economic Issues and Outlook (Washington State University).
January - 2008
- January 11: Consumer preferences for alternative formats of nutrition information on grocery store shelf labels, Joshua Berning (SES)
- January 14: Measurement error in discrete explanatory variables: Implications of conditional independence, Nandita Gawade (Princeton University)
- January 16: Market signaling with grades, Brendan Daley (Stanford University)
- January 18: State trade missions, Andrew Cassey (University of Minnesota)
- January 25: Coordination in learning to play Nash Equilibrium, Tomasz Sadzik (Stanford University)
- January 29: Intertemporal risk aversion, stationarity and discounting, Christian Traeger (UC Berkeley)
February - 2008
- February 4, Pullman: Semi-Collusive Market Outcomes: Theory and Evidence, and February 5, Wenatchee: Market Value Maximization through Strategic Delegation, Shinn-Shyr Wang (University of Wisconsin-Madison)
- February 7: Evaluating the 100th Meridian Initiative: Assessing the Impacts of Zebra Mussel Invasion on the Columbia River Basin, Travis Warziniack (University of Wyoming)
- February 8: Factors influencing the temporal diffusion of broadband adoption: Evidence from Oklahoma, Brian Whitacre (Oklahoma State University)
- February 13: Beliefs and Social Preferences, Zachary Grossman (University of California, Berkeley)
- February 14, Pullman: Producer Preferences for Cottonseed in the Mississippi Delta via a Choice-Based Conjoint Experiment, and February 15, Wenatchee: "Producer Returns from Bt Cotton under Various Refuge Scenarios in the Mississippi Delta", Swagata Banerjee (Mississippi State University)
- February 18, Pullman: Wheat Quality Information Availability and its Impacts on Mexican Millers' Welfare, and February 19, Wenatchee: Mexican Millers’ Demand for Quality and Consistency in Hard Red Winter Wheat, R. Karina Gallardo (Oklahoma State University)
- February 25, Pullman: "Red Tides and Participation in Marine-based Activities: Estimating the Response of Southwest Florida Residents"; Febryary 26, Wenatchee: Marketing Opportunities for Perennial Peanut Hay, Market Development Strategies for Fresh Sweet Corn , Kimberly Morgan (University of Florida)
- February 26: Sources of Growth and Sources of Knowledge, Seung Mo Choi (University of Chicago)
- February 28: The importance of Foregone Options and Social Comparisons as a Device for Cooperation in Simultaneous-Move Games, Felix Munoz-Garcia (University of Pittsburgh)
- February 29: Financial Frictions and International Trade, Ruanjai Suwantaradon (University of Minnesota, Twin Cities)
March - 2008
- March 21: The Determinants of Consuming Food Away from Home in China: The Role of Hosted Meals Junfei Bai (IMPACT WSU)
- March 27: 2008 Leigh Lecture in Economics Timothy Kehoe (University of Minnesota, Twin Cities) SES Seminar - How and Why does Trade Grow? and Leigh Lecture - Economic Crises and Productivity Drops
April - 2008
- April 4: Network Effects of the Point-to-Point Network: Evidences from the Spatial Entry Patterns of Southwest Airlines Jia Yan (SES)
- April 11: Taxation and Income Distribution Dynamics in a Neoclassical Growth Model, Stephen Turnovsky (University of Washington)
- April 18: Parameterizing Risk Tolerance Among Respondents of National Longitudinal Survey of Youth 1979 -- Abstract, Bidisha Mandal (SES)
- April 22: When will trade restrictions affect producer behavior: Oligopsony power in international trade -- Abstract Frank Asche (Norwegian Fisheries Economist, University of Stavanger, Norway)
- April 24: Family Transfers in Rural Mexico: An Application to Risk Sharing and Labor Supply Elasticity --Handout, Rachel Soloveichik (Economist, Bureau of Economic Analysis, US Dept of Commerce)
May - 2008
- May 2: Aggregation in Production Jeffrey LaFrance (SES)
- May 9: Strategic International Outsourcing John Gilbert (Utah State)
June - 2008
- June 11: Nonlinear Structure in Regression Residuals, Michael McCullough (SES)
July - 2008
- July 10: Free-riding and Cooperation in Environmental Games, Ana Espinola-Arredondo, Job Candidate seminar